• Where to Begin

    We have identified some helpful web sites that can assist prospective students by helping them to identify colleges and universities that have the kind of academic program of interest to those students. These sites can help you find:

    1. A United States Overseas Advisor in your country
    2. Information about an appropriate program of study for you, and
    3. Visa information for entry into the United States

    Where to begin with a knowledgeable person to help you

    Education USA - the official United States Department of State website for International Students. This website can help you find an advisor in your part of the world who can help you select a school as well as advise you about student visas and entry requirements. http://educationusa.state.gov/ 

    Help finding the right program

    College Board - works to connect students to college success and opportunity. Their site has an extensive search engine to help find the kind of program of study of interest to international students at undergraduate and graduate levels

    Hobson's - works to empower students all over the world to make the right course and career choices. It can help bring students together with the universities and companies that want them.

    Study in the USA - publishes admissions magazines and a website for students, their parents and advisors seeking information about U.S. education.

    Peterson's - a reliable and extensive source of information about American colleges and programs of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels.

    Official government information about all international student visa categories

    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/tempbenefits/studvisas.htm

    Destination USA http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/

    United States Department of State Travel and Living Abroad http://www.state.gov/travel/

    English Language Proficiency Tests

    Many institutions have established specific test scores as a means of checking English language proficiency. You will need to check the admission criteria to identify the exam used to check english language proficiency at the institution of your choice. The following links take you to web pages of English language testing services commonly used at American colleges and universities.

    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

    International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS)

    Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)

    Credential Evaluation Services

    It may be necessary to have your academic credentials translated and evaluated as part of the admission process. Credential evaluation services evaluate and convert educational credentials from any country in the world into their U.S. equivalents by describing each certificate, diploma or degree you have earned and stating its academic equivalency in the United States. A number of American institutions of higher education will require you to submit an evaluation of your credentials before admitting you to study. check the requirement at the institution of your choice to determine which evaluation service to use. There is a fee for the service of evaluating your credentials. Visit the following sites for details.

    American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) Foreign Education Credential Service

    World Education Services


    • Arlene Jackson
      Associate Vice President,
      Global Initiatives
      (202) 478-7834
    • Sufei Li
      International Programs
      (571) 594-6668
    • Jody Dixon
      Program Coordinator,
      Global Initiatives
      (202) 478-7814