2012 AASCU China Meeting
Saturday, October 13, 2012 to Monday, October 22, 2012AASCU is pleased to announce our 11th Sino-American conference in Beijing, October 20-21, 2012.
Shanghai & Beijing, China
Each year for the past ten years, we have taken AASCU senior leaders (presidents, provosts, international officers, deans, department heads, and faculty) to China to participate in a series of activities designed to provide insights into how to create and sustain educational partnerships in China.
About the Conference
This year the AASCU-sponsored 11th annual trip to China will offer participants two options:
- Option #1 - Shanghai & Beijing, China (October 13-22, 2012)
- Option #2 - Beijing, China (October 16-22, 2012)
co-hosted by the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE) for its annual EXPO and FORUM.
Option #1 - Shanghai and Beijing
AASCU in partnership with the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE) and International Education Exchange Center, Shanghai (IEEC) will open the first Sino-American Higher Education Leadership and Innovation Center. This new facility is designed to promote international education and exchange; professional development for senior administrators/faculty; and student recruitment to AASCU member campuses. This fee based opportunity for AASCU colleges and universities will be a comprehensive office environment for the development of international education and exchange resources and a full service platform to promote AASCU member institutions in China.
Please join AASCU in Shanghai for the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the first Sino-American Higher Education Leadership and Innovation Center. In addition to this ribbon-cutting ceremony, there will be university campus visits, and cultural activities in the Shanghai area. Following the launching of the new Center, we will continue on to Beijing for the EXPO and FORUM (see option #2).
Option #2 - Beijing EXPO and FORUM
The program includes participation in a major global conference put on by our Chinese partner association, the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE). You will have opportunities to interact with world educational leaders in discussions on topics of mutual interest. You can also participate in an EXPO that attracts more than 35,000 Chinese students who are interested in study abroad. During our time in Beijing, we schedule time for a series of discussions with our Chinese higher education association partners, to understand Chinese higher education at a macro level. We also provide a variety of cultural and tourist events to better understand Chinese history and culture. Participants often schedule trips before or after the conference to visit potential or already established partner universities in other parts of China.
This trip represents an extraordinary opportunity to be introduced to or deepen your understanding of China, a growing world power. If you are interested in initiating or further developing educational partnerships in China, we urge you to consider joining us in Beijing.
A special note for campuses interested in student recruitment: For the AASCU delegation, the primary purpose of the weekend in Beijing is familiarization with China and Chinese higher education issues. However, we will be hosting our joint Sino-American conference in the same facility where 30,000 students will come that weekend to participate in an international student recruitment fair, seeking information about academic programs in other countries. More than 600 booths will be set up representing institutions from countries around the world.
AASCU will have a booth shared by all of the AASCU institutions that are participating in our weekend conference. We will be able to distribute materials and have an opportunity on Sunday to meet with Chinese students interested in coming to study in the United States. However, our main purpose will not be student recruitment. Our booth is primarily used to raise awareness of Chinese students about AASCU institutions.
International Recruitment Fair
- If you wish to send someone to participate in the International Recruitment Fair, you should plan to rent a booth or a portion of a booth, separate from the booth that AASCU has already reserved.
To reduce costs, we have made separate arrangements so that up to 3 AASCU institutions can share the cost of a booth (approximately 9ft by 9ft). The rental is RMB23,000/booth (or $3,710/booth), or the cost can be pro-rated by the number of AASCU institutions sharing the booth (not to exceed 3).
- If you reserve a separate booth, you should plan to have someone who speaks Chinese staff the booth for the entire weekend. It would also be helpful to have at least some of your materials in Chinese.
- Download the Booth Application Form (pdf) for your reference or you may ask your institutions to make the online application easily via www.chinaeducationexpo.com/english/exhibitor/application.html
- If you would like to rent a separate booth, please complete the CEE 2012-Booth Application Form(pdf), and email or fax the copy to: Show Management Office: Fairlink Exhibition Services Ltd. before August 20, 2012.
Ms. Lily ZOU (Lily@fairlink.com.cn)
Mr. Harden DANG (HD@fairlink.com.cn)
Phone: +86-(0)10-8580 0790 / 91
Fax: +86-(0)10-8580 0786
On Site Printing Service
- For the convenience of exhibitors, the EXPO highly recommends our AASCU participants choose printing material services provided by the Organizer. The cost is: USD $110.00 for 2500 copies for one sided/ black and white leaflet (A4 size).
- This cost includes printing and on-time booth delivery. AASCU will invoice all institutions that elect to choose the on-site printing option and send their prototype. Please indicate the quantity of copies you want printed (2500, 5000 copies, etc.).
- PLEASE NOTE that each document should set 3mm margins on each side and be submitted in PDF or Illustrator or TIFF format. The picture resolution should be no lower than 300dpi.
AASCU Exibitors can either:
- Email the sample document (PDF or Illustrator or TIFF format) directly to AASCU, Felicia Durham, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for her to receive your document is: SEPTEMBER 1, 2012. We will then forward the flyer directly to the Exhibition organizer. We will also invoice your university.
- Or, if you prefer, send the flyer directly to the Exhibitor.
The deadline date is SEPTEMBER 1, 2012.
The flyer should be sent directly to Ms. Lily Zou.
For your reference, if you select to send the document directly to Ms. Zou, please note, that AASCU cannot invoice you. Payment will be your responsibility based on the terms defined by Ms. Zou.
For more information, please contact Show Management Office:
Ms. Lily ZOU, Project Manager
Fairlink Exhibition Services Ltd.
Tel: 86-10 8580 0790 / 91 / 92
Fax: 86-10 8580 0786
Lily@fairlink.com.cn / email@example.com
You may carry your university materials with you as excess baggage on your flight. You will be charged a fee payable at check-in for the excess baggage.
You may use express mail, such as FEDEX or DHL, to send your university materials directly to you at the Jinglun Hotel in Beijing if you are going to stay in Jinglun. In addition to bringing the tracking number with you in the event the baggage is held up in customs, remember to include the following information on the mailing label:
- Your name and university name
- c/o AASCU/CCIEE FORUM/EXPO DELEGATION
- Indicate package should be held for your date of arrival at the hotel
Please note, all FEDEX packages should be sent at least 10-15 days prior to your arrival to avoid customs problems.
Finally, whichever method you select to transfer your university materials to Beijing, kindly inform AASCU, Felicia Durham, at firstname.lastname@example.org
OPTION #1 - SHANGHAI AND BEIJING
SATURDAY, OCT. 13
SUNDAY, OCT. 14
MONDAY, OCT. 15
- Campus site visit
- Cultural activities
TUESDAY, OCT. 16
- Meeting with U. S. Embassy representatives and Consular Staff
- Ribbon Cutting & Opening Ceremony for the Sino-American Higher Education Leadership & Innovation Center
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 17
THURSDAY, OCT. 18
** Follow the Beijing Only schedule (Option #2)
OPTION #2 - BEIJING ONLY
TUESDAY, OCT. 16
WEDESDAY, OCT. 17
THURSDAY, OCT. 18
- AASCU Briefing (mandatory for all participants)
- Meeting with U. S. Embassy representatives and Consular Staff
- Cultural activities
FRIDAY, OCT. 19
- Great Wall (with a guide)
- Preparation of AASCU booths - Student Recruitment EXPO
SATURDAY, OCT. 20
- Opening Ceremony and Banquet - 2012 International Education Forum and EXPO
- 2012 International Education Forum and Expo
- Sino-American Seminar
- Opening Ceremony and Banquet - 2011 International Education Forum and EXPO
SUNDAY, OCT. 21
- 2012 International Education Forum
- 2012 Student Expo
MONDAY, OCT. 22
- AASCU program officially ends - Return to the USA or travel on own to other locations)
Prior to leaving for China, each AASCU participant will receive pre-departure orientation materials, including a bibliography on interesting articles, safety, health and cultural information on China.
Travel Documentation Requirements
A valid passport is required.
If you need a passport, please apply immediately at your local U.S. Post Office. For additional information visit Passport Office website at: www.passportexpress.com
Visas are required for entry into China.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have a valid passport which must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it. New regulations require all travelers to China must have personal interviews to obtain visas. However, because this exchange is an institutional cooperation between AASCU and CEAIE, personal interviews will not be required if all visas are processed as a group. AASCU will work with the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C., to coordinate the visa processing for our group.
***Please follow the instructions listed below very carefully:
DO NOT SEND YOUR VISA APPLICATION TO THE CHINESE EMBASSY OR CONSULATE.
INSTEAD, SEND ALL MATERIALS LISTED BELOW TO ARLENE JACKSON AT AASCU.
See instructions below:
BE SURE TO KEEP A COPY OF THE FEDEX or DHL TRACKING NUMBER SO YOU CAN LOCATE YOUR SHIPMENT IN CASE OF A PROBLEM.
- Obtaining a Chinese Visa
You will need a Business F visa. Visit the China Embassy's website for more information on the visa application form.
Download Visa Application Form
- You will need a passport photo for the Visa Application. Also note that you must have at least 6 months of remaining validity and one blank visa page in order for the Consulate to process your visa request.
- Prepare a check or money order for $170, payable to AASCU. AASCU will collect all funds, and then write one check to the Chinese Embassy to pay for all visas.
- Make sure you enclose your passport (original, not a copy). The visa will be attached to a page in your passport.
- Include a return Pre-Paid FEDEX, UPS, USPS label (with your billing account number) for mailing your documents directly to you once the visa has been processed and placed in your passport.
- FEDEX or DHL all four (4) items:
1. Visa Application Form with ONE passport phote
2. Check or money order payable to AASCU for $170.00
3. Your passport (original, not a copy)
4. A FEDEX or DHL return label with your billing account number
Director of International Education
American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU)
1307 New York Avenue, 5th Floor
Washington, D. C. 20005-4701
All documents should be sent to Arlene to ARRIVE NO LATER THAN September 1, 2012. If all materials are received by September 1, there will be ample time to process and return before scheduled travel dates.
If you are unable to download the application or have other questions about the process, please contact Arlene Jackson at (202) 478-7834, or Sufei Li at email@example.com
We recommend that you contact your medical center or personal physician for detailed medical and inoculation information as early as possible. For more specific information on health/maculation requirements for China, please refer to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website: www.who.int/ith/ or www.cdc.gov
All travelers must have insurance coverage. AASCU recommends SOS Global Traveler insurance. This program offers 24 hour worldwide medical information/assistance with additional options available to cover trip cancellation and unexpected medical/dental expenses. SOS has local staff in China. Each AASCU Traveler is eligible for a 20% discount on the SOS insurance fee when applying online (Click "buy membership." In the membership quotation item #4 preferred pricing code- Enter the letters AASCU for the 20% discount).
Domestic Travel in China
If you plan to travel independently to other cities in China, please note that there will be sufficient time to purchase your domestic airline tickets after we arrive in Beijing. Domestic tickets for travel in China should be purchased in China because the cost is less expensive than buying a ticket in the USA. Our colleagues at CEAIE will assist all travelers who need to purchase their individual domestic airline tickets after our arrival in Beijing.
If you have questions, please contact Arlene Jackson at (202) 478-7834 or fax at (202) 296-5819.
There are three airlines that provide the most direct travel to Beijing. The airlines are:
- UNITED Airlines
Reservation number 800-241-6522
(Non-stop service between Chicago and Shanghai on to Beijing)
(Non-stop service between Washington, DC/Dulles and Beijing)
- NORTHWEST/DELTA Airlines
Reservation number 800-225-2525
(Service to China via Tokyo/Narita Airport)
- CONTINENTAL Airlines
Reservation number 800-525-0280
(Non-stop service between Newark, New Jersey and Beijing)
- The approximate cost for one roundtrip coach international airline ticket per person is between $1500 and $1800
All travelers who complete the Airline Confirmation Form will be met at the Beijing Airport by AASCU/CEAIE staff and transportation will be provided to the Jinglun Hotel.
Please make your airline reservations early to make certain that seats are available on the dates you wish to travel to China and return to the USA.
OPTION # 1 - SHANGHAI & BEIJING
- The conference fee for the Shanghai & Beijing trip is $870 per person
- That conference fee will cover and include ground transportation (to and from the Shanghai airport); local transportation in Shanghai, banquet Tuesday night, a visit to a university, cultural activities. In Beijing, it will cover registration for the Beijing conference, ground transportation (to and from the Beijing airport); local transportation in Beijing, meeting room rentals, conference registration; banquet Saturday night; lunch Saturday; rental of a shared AASCU booth for student recruitment; city and Great Wall sightseeing, plus guides and entry tickets.
- The conference fee will NOT include:
Visas for entry into China; travel insurance; Shanghai and Beijing hotel charges; roundtrip U.S-China airline tickets; other domestic travel while in China, and any personal expenses, individual sightseeing, and other personal activity while in China.
OPTION # 2 - BEIJING
- The conference fee for the Beijing trip is $695 per person (includes the Beijing EXPO and FORUM).
- That conference fee will cover registration for the Beijing conference and will include ground transportation (to and from the Beijing airport); local transportation in Beijing, meeting room rentals, conference registration; banquet Saturday night; lunch Saturday; rental of a shared AASCU booth for student recruitment; city and Great Wall sightseeing, plus guides and entry tickets.
- The conference fee will NOT include:
Visas for entry into China; travel insurance; Beijing hotel charges; roundtrip U.S-Beijing airline tickets; other domestic travel while in China, and any personal expenses, individual sightseeing, and other personal activity while in China.
Registration Information top
Please select the most appropriate option below for you to register:
- AASCU will make ALL hotel reservations in Beijing and have rooms blocked for you. Please make sure that you send your Hotel Confirmation sheet ONLY to AASCU, if you want to stay at the designated hotel with the group.
Download Hotel Confirmation Sheet
- All travelers will be met at the Beijing Airport by AASCU/CEAIE staff and transportation will be provided to the designated group hotel, Jinglun Hotel only. Please note, you will only be met; if an Airline Confirmation sheet is sent to AASCU with hotel sheet.
Download Airline Confirmation Sheet
YanAn Hotel – Shanghai (4 star)
1111 Yanan Zong Lu Road
Jinan District, Shanghai, 200040
$100-120 for single and double
JINGLUN Hotel – Beijing (4 star)
3, Jianguo Men Wei Avenue,
Beijing, 100020 China
Tele: (86+10) 6500-2266
Fax: (86+10) 6500-2022
The daily standard room rate will be approximately $140.00 US per night;
deluxe room is $160.00 US per night;
executive room is $180.00 US per night;
suites are $280.00 per night;
All rooms include breakfast and 15% service charge.
AASCU has a block of rooms reserved at Jinglun Hotel in Beijing and Yanan Hotel in Shanghai. AASCU will make reservations for you, based on the information you provide on the Hotel Confirmation Sheet. Please make sure that you send your hotel confirmation sheet ONLY to AASCU. Please do not make reservations directly with the hotel.
AASCU will make ALL hotel reservations in Shanghai/Beijing and have rooms blocked for you. Please make sure that you send your Hotel Confirmation sheet ONLY to AASCU, if you want to stay at the designated hotel with the group.
Download Hotel Confirmation Sheet (pdf)
All travelers will be met at the Shanghai/Beijing Airport by AASCU/CEAIE staff and transportation will be provided to the designated group hotels. Please note, you will only be met; if an Airline Confirmation sheet is sent to AASCU with hotel sheet.
Download Airline Confirmation Sheet (pdf)
**All travelers will be met at the Beijing/Shanghsi Airport by AASCU/CEAIE staff and transportation will be provided to the local hotel, if an Airline Confirmation Form is sent to AASCU.
Visa Information for China
AASCU will facilitate the issuance of Chinese visas for all travelers for this trip.
Please note these requirements:
Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.
- Application form:
One completed Visa Application Form (Q1)
Visit the China Embassy's website for more information on the visa application form.
One passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable) glued or stapled on the application form.
Non-US passport bearers shall provide documents that entitle them to reside or work for an extended period of time in the US.
- Visa is $170 (check made out to AASCU)
In late summer, we will send a note to all participants, asking them to FedEx their passport, the visa application, a passport photo, and a check made out to AASCU for $170, along with a return, prepaid FedEx envelope. We will take the passports and visa applications to the Chinese Embassy for group processing, and then FedEx the passport with visa attached back to each traveler.