Federal Role in Access and Completion
- Advocate for direct support to public institutions of higher education that enroll a high percentage of low-income individuals.
K-12 and Postsecondary Education Alignment
- Support funding directed toward states in their efforts to align P-12 and higher education curricula, standards and assessments to ensure that students are equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in postsecondary education and the workforce.
- Support state efforts in the implementation of the Common Core State Standards in mathematics and English language arts.
Diversity and Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs)
- Support higher education policies that ensure equal access to educational opportunities for all students.
- Support continued appropriation levels for Title III of the Higher Education Act, which supports the development and strengthening of: Historically Black Colleges and Universities; Predominantly Black Institutions; American Indian
Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities; Alaska Native and Hawaiian Serving Institutions, Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions; and Native American Serving Institutions.
- Advocate for sustained funding for Title V of the Higher Education Act, which supports the development and strengthening of Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs) in order to address the nation’s changing demographics and increasing enrollments at HSIs.
Federal Early Outreach and Student Services Programs: TRIO and GEAR UP
- Protect funding for TRIO and GEAR UP, and oppose any proposal to scale back or eliminate any significant component of the programs.