State Role in Accountability
Improved Student and Institutional Data
- Support state efforts to work with the higher education community and the federal government to improve and expand student data systems to inform educators and policymakers on strategies for improving college attendance, retention and completion. Statewide and multistate student data systems enhance the ability to identify challenges associated with, and solutions for, improving student success.
- Encourage states to align data systems to better recognize efforts by institutions and systems in the Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA), a joint initiative between AASCU and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) that provides greater transparency of student demographic information and core student educational outcomes.
- Encourage state oversight over all institutions to ensure adequate student consumer protection and the prevention of fraud and abuse of student and public resources.
Upholding Ethical Standards
- Promote collaborative efforts with states to ensure that appropriate policies are in place that: promote ethical behavior; ensure appropriate transparency and accountability for institutional financial transactions; and seek to prevent conflicts of interest that may arise between institutions and third-party vendors.
Public Safety, Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Response
- Support state-coordinated efforts to help higher education institutions plan for, respond to and recover from natural disasters and other public safety emergencies.
- Support existing state law and proposed legislation that: 1) bans concealed weapons from public college campuses or 2) provides for institutional and system autonomy with regard to concealed weapons policy. Discourage new legislation that would overturn or weaken concealed weapons bans on campus.