AASCU Washington Policy Update
Thursday, June 23, 2022
12 p.m. ET
While the wheels of Congress slow down ahead of the summer recess, federal agencies are working hard to release significant Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRMs) that will greatly impact AASCU members. From student loan forgiveness to a potential legislative fix to the uncertainties
around the ’85-15’ veteran student benefit rule, summer in the capital is shaping up to be anything but quiet.
Join AASCU’s government relations team for a timely and informative webinar on Thursday, June 23 at 12 p.m. ET to learn about everything that’s happening in Congress and the administration.
The webinar will include the following topics:
- Update on the USICA/COMPETES Conference Committee including the latest word on inclusion of the College Transparency Act and Short-Term Pell
- Latest trajectory of student aid and loan forgiveness discussions within the Department of Education
- Federal agency updates
- Department of Education NPRMs on institutional and programmatic eligibility and new Title IX
- Department of Labor – Fair Labor Standards Act’s minimum wage and overtime exemptions
- Department of Veterans Affairs – reset of the 85-15 rule and 35% exemption
- What to expect before the midterms
Registration is limited to AASCU members only.
Vice President, Government Relations and Policy Analysis
Luis Maldonado was appointed vice president for government relations and policy analysis at AASCU effective July 8, 2019. He aids the president of AASCU in this position by directing and coordinating activities that advance the mission of the association, serving as the direct liaison with government officials, federal agencies, and other educational organizations to develop policies and positions that support regional comprehensive state colleges and universities. Maldonado has more than 25 years of combined experience in government relations and advocacy efforts with various organizations in the Washington, D.C., region. He has worked in advocacy for three nonprofit organizations, most recently with the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, in two former positions from 2002–2005 that included serving in a legislative affairs capacity and as chief advocacy officer from 2014–2019, and in senior advocacy positions with the Council on Foundations and the American Diabetes Association.
John Patrick Walsh
Director, Federal Relations and Policy Analysis
John Patrick Walsh, AASCU’s director of federal relations and policy analysis, has a wide range of experiences in government relations and federal policy development and advocacy. His professional background includes serving as the chief of staff of the Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs at the U.S. Department of Labor, as director of federal affairs in the Washington, D.C., office of former Florida Governor Rick Scott, and as transition team leader for the office of former Governor Rick Scott.
Who Should Attend:
- Vice Presidents, Directors, or Managers of Government Relations
- Vice Presidents, Directors, or Managers of Community Relations
- Anyone interested in educator preparation, student aid, and institutional funding policies
- Professionals engaged with federal elected officials and other policymakers